New Zealand search and rescue teams found six Australian climbers alive yesterday after they were trapped for two days in a blizzard in Mount Cook National park, officials said.
The tourists were found in the Metelille Glacier area of Mount Cook in the South Island after a break in the severe weather allowed a helicopter to hone in on the group’s emergency distress beacon.
“The four men and two women had been in freezing conditions but are believed to be well,” rescue co-ordination center spokesman Ross Henderson said.
The climbers were picked up by helicopter and returned the Mount Cook village base, the center said in a statement later.
“All have been checked by medical staff and are well with no injuries,” Henderson said.
Henderson says their condition after almost two days in blizzard conditions was remarkable and they were in good spirits.
The rescue center detected a distress beacon signal late on Thursday night and launched a search and rescue operation involving more than 20 people.
But an avalanche warning and heavy snow hampered their efforts and fears were growing for the group, believed to be from Sydney.
The climbers, aged between 30 and 45, had stayed at a Mount Cook Village hostel before setting out last Saturday and had recorded their intention to walk in the area without an expert guide.
Alpine Guides owner Bryan Carter, who was involved in the rescue effort, said the area where they had been climbing struck atrocious weather.
“Avalanche conditions deteriorated during their climb, that’s not uncommon, and there was substantial snowfall for about 36 hours,” Carter said. “The climb was on relatively moderate terrain and I don’t think the group had been reckless, they were carrying a range of equipment appropriate to the conditions.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told