Colombian President Alvaro Uribe acknowledged on Wednesday that his army used the Red Cross emblem in its bloodless July 2 rescue of 15 hostages, a move the humanitarian agency swiftly denounced as "abusive."
Uribe allowed one army official to wear a vest with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) emblem, but said that it was because the official was nervous about the operation and there were many leftist rebels on the scene.
So “the official took a piece of cloth out of his pocket with the initials CICR [ICRC] on it and he put it on his vest. We are sorry that this has happened,” Uribe said.
CNN television reported that it had viewed unpublished photos and videos of the rescue in which a military official is seen using the emblem of the international humanitarian organization, in what some said could be deemed a “war crime.”
Uribe said he presented his apology to the ICRC on Wednesday morning.
In a statement from Bogota, the ICRC said the “emblem of the Red Cross needs to be respected in all circumstances and cannot be used in an abusive manner.”
In Geneva, ICRC spokeswoman Florian Westphal said: “The respect of the emblem is crucial so the ICRC can bring help to people affected by the conflicts in Colombia or elsewhere.”
Westphal said it was important that Uribe “had admitted the error that had been committed.”
The organization did not say whether it would take any action as a result of the misuse.
Hours after the dramatic rescue of the hostages from the hands of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), Colombian army commander General Mario Montoya publicly denied — in Uribe’s presence — that his men had used emblems from the humanitarian organization.
“Not one insignia, Mr President, not from the Red Cross or anything like it, nor from any humanitarian mission whatsoever,” Montoya had said, in describing the operation that tricked the Marxist rebels into handing over the 15 hostages, including French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt and three US defense contractors.
It was not immediately clear how Uribe’s revelation would affect the ICRC’s role in ongoing attempts to free an estimated 700 hostages still held by FARC.
The ICRC, which said it has 318 staff in Colombia, has been active in dialogue with the rebels for years, as various groups including the Colombian, French and Swiss governments have sought to negotiate hostage releases.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told