The South Korean media expressed outrage yesterday at the killing of a female South Korean tourist by a soldier in the North, demanding an apology and a thorough investigation into the incident.
The 53-year-old Seoul housewife was taking an early morning stroll at a holiday resort in North Korea on Friday when she apparently strayed into a military zone and was shot dead.
“A thorough investigation is necessary as firing at an unarmed civilian, even in an off-limits military area, is a disproportionate, excessive reaction,” the conservative Joongang daily said in an editorial.
PHOTO: AFP
Another conservative daily, Chosun, demanded firm government action, saying the North Korean soldier responsible must have known the victim was a tourist.
“The government must make sure the North apologizes, punishes those responsible and pays due compensation to relatives of the victim,” the paper said.
The Dong-a daily, which generally backs the government, said the “barbarous” killing showed the communist state “makes light of human lives.”
The liberal daily Hankyoreh, which said the shooting was “an obviously excessive reaction,” carried the first eyewitness account.
Meanwhile, the head of the South Korean company that manages the resort, Mount Kumgang, left for North Korea to investigate the shooting.
“We will look into how the tragic incident happened and set up measures to bolster safety for tourists,” Hyundai Asan president Yoon Man-joon told journalists.
The South has suspended tours to Mount Kumgang and urged the North to cooperate with its investigation.
But North Korea blamed South Korea for the shooting.
A statement from the North Korea tourism bureau yesterday expressed regret for the death of the woman. But it said responsibility for the incident “entirely rests with the south side” and said Seoul should apologize.
North Korea also said it would not accept a request that South Korean officials visit the resort for an investigation.
The shooting was the first since tours to the resort, developed and managed by Hyundai group, began in 1998.
The North told Hyundai Asan the woman ran after she was warned to halt, and was then shot in the chest and the hip.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in