Rescuers fought strong currents in the Sava River in southeastern Slovenia on Friday as they searched for five people still missing after two canoes were crushed running over a dam. Divers had already recovered six bodies.
Three people managed to swim ashore after their boats crumpled, overturned and capsized, but two of them died on Friday in the hospital, raising the confirmed death toll to eight, according to police spokesman Robert Perc. The third survivor remained hospitalized.
The accident happened late on Thursday when two large canoes decided to run over a dam under construction near Sevnica, a town 90km southeast of the capital, Ljubljana. At that section, the dam — part of a hydroelectric plant — is currently built only to about the height of the water.
‘THE FINAL DESCENT’
The trip — ominously dubbed “The Final Descent” — was organized by local officials and all participants were Slovenians. It was to be the last ride down that section of the river, which will soon be blocked by the hydroelectric plant.
Two other canoes left the river before reaching the dam site.
Slovenian TV journalist Goran Rovan, who had been in one of the safe canoes, told the state-run news agency STA the other canoes capsized and broke apart when they hit the whitewater passing through the dam gates. The occupants fell into the river and were sucked underwater by the rapids.
Slovenian TV showed chilling footage on Friday of the canoes entering the dam, followed by the sound of screams. Then the boats were crushed and flipped over.
Rovan told STA that almost none of the victims wore life vests.
The rescue operation was hampered by the river’s strong currents.
More than 15 divers combed the river on Friday, trying to find survivors or bodies. A police helicopter flew over the area, while police, civil protection and fire services swept the river banks.
TRAGEDY
In the evening on Friday, the gates of the power plant were opened to create a surge in the hopes that it would wash up the bodies of the five missing that were believed to be trapped underwater, STA said.
Rescuers said they would continue the search overnight.
Prime Minister Janez Jansa rushed to the site early on Friday, declaring the accident a “great tragedy.”
The rescuers “are doing everything that is humanely possible,” he said.
Economics Minister Andrej Vizjak denied speculation that the dam could have been better secured or blocked. He told STA that those in the canoes had clear safety instructions, but some still “decided to take a dangerous descent.”
He called the accident the “consequence of a wrong human decision.”
Perc said Sevnica mayor Kristijan Janc, who also is a member of parliament, was among the dead. Local media reported his wife Ana was the only survivor.
The Slovenian parliament canceled its Friday session.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told