Indonesian rescuers battled fog and thick jungle yesterday to recover the bodies of 18 people, including three foreigners, killed in a plane crash at the base of a mountain, officials said.
The Casa C-212 transport plane disappeared from radar screens at 3:03pm on Thursday around Mount Salak in West Java about 40km south of Jakarta near the town of Bogor, officials said earlier.
“The team is already at the location, but it’s a gorge ... it’s quite difficult to go down and come up,” air force spokesman Chaeruddin Ray said.
PHOTO: AFP
Low fog and slippery ground had slowed the progress of air force personnel and police at the crash site, Ray said.
“The rescue team is already trying to collect all the bodies in body bags,” Ray said. “With a plane shattering widely like that you can imagine what condition the bodies are in.”
The head of the search and rescue team, Hadi Tugiman, said by telephone from the mountain that rescuers had already collected 15 of the victims and were readying a makeshift helipad to evacuate the bodies.
“They have not yet been taken down from the mountain yet; the plan is to take them out by helicopter but that depends on the weather,” Tugiman said, adding that clouds still blanketed the mountainside.
Rescuers will attempt to carry out the bodies by foot along an arduous path through the forest if the weather fails to clear, he said.
The three foreigners — from Britain, India and Singapore — were among six civilians on board the military plane when it took off from a Jakarta air base on a short flight to test ground imaging equipment, but it never returned.
The other 12 on the plane were from the military.
The wreckage was reached for the first time early yesterday morning after two days of uncertainty over its fate.
Police have said local residents were the first to see the plane slam into the dense pocket of jungle on the mountain’s slopes. Villagers also reportedly reached the wreckage before it was spotted by an airforce plane on Friday.
“People living around the Mount Salak area saw a plane flying on Thursday and then they heard sounds of an explosion,” one police officer in the region said earlier.
The foreigners reportedly worked for Credent Technology offering services in high-resolution satellite imagery and laser scanning for mapping.
Officials plan to return all bodies from the crash to Jakarta’s Halim Perdanakusuma airbase, where the plane originally departed from.
The foreign office in London and the Singaporean foreign ministry confirmed that British and Singaporean nationals were on board. An Indian diplomat in Jakarta confirmed an Indian was also on the flight.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told