The British Museum and the British Army have held talks about a new initiative aimed at restoring, as far as it ever can be, Iraq's shattered cultural heritage.
The plan involves assessing major archaeological sites, including the ancient Sumerian cities of Warka and Eridu, to see how badly damaged they are and the full extent of looting.
Another aspect will concentrate on southern Iraq's emptied museums, the main one being in Basra, but also smaller ones in Kut, Amara and Wasit.
The initiative was revealed in this week's Art Newspaper. Basra-based Major Tom Holloway told the paper that the plan was for soldiers to help at what he called iconic cultural locations and leave a positive "legacy" after the withdrawal of British troops.
"The British army's role in the cultural project will be to facilitate specialists coming out from the UK to southeast Iraq, to liaise with Iraqi civil contacts and to assist where possible with contracts for work required, underwritten with a degree of funding," he said.
At the British Museum, the initiative is being driven by John Curtis, keeper of the Middle East collections and a specialist on Iraq and Iran. He said the plan was at an early stage and they had not yet talked to the Iraqi authorities, who would be key to it happening at all.
"What's encouraging is that the army is now taking an interest in cultural heritage," Curtis said. "Looting has been very bad but we believe it might be on the decrease and that seems to be the evidence from satellite pictures."
He said the situation may have improved because the last Iraqi director of antiquities was from the south and used his local connections to help stamp it out.
He admitted the most depressing aspect was the feeling of helplessness. It had been too dangerous to go to the areas that experts needed to visit and he hoped the initiative would be a step forward.
If the initiative gets off the ground, the first step may be a small team going to Basra for up to a fortnight, staying at a British army base and making day trips to sites under the protection of guards.
The initiative is not due to be formally announced until May.
The Art Newspaper said British troops would not get involved in actively stopping looters by patrolling archeological sites.
Collections from the southern Iraqi museums were moved to the Baghdad museum before the allied invasion in 2003.
A team of experts will have to assess whether the buildings are in good enough condition to allow the return of their treasures.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told