A 17-year-old shot a classmate in a school cafeteria here before casually handing the gun to a teacher and saying "it's over now," in the latest of a slew of shootings across the country, officials said.
Screams rang out in the halls as frantic students fled from the gunshots which left a 19-year-old student in critical condition.
"We believe the incident occurred because of something in the community and the student brought it to school," Mitchell High School principal John Ware said at a press conference.
"The student walked up to another student and shot the student," Ware said.
"He then gave the weapon to one of our coaches ... and made a statement to the coach that it's over now," Ware said. "He didn't run."
Ware urged students to come to class yesterday when they will be writing important tests, but students were badly shaken by the shooting.
"It was just crazy because all you see are students running down the hall saying `They're shooting! They're shooting!'" student Michelle Oliver told WMC-TV news.
"We thought we'd be safe at school but obviously not because something like this could happen," she said.
Student Raven Taylor described the victim as a well-liked youth who avoided trouble.
"It's just going to be very heartbreaking if he doesn't make it," she told the local station.
The incident came a week after another Memphis student was shot in the leg by a classmate during algebra class in a dispute over rap lyrics, and caps a week of deadly shootings nationwide.
On Friday, a female student shot dead two other women before turning the gun on herself at a college in the southern state of Louisiana.
On Thursday, a gunman opened fire at an Ohio school, wounding his estranged wife in front of her students before fleeing and later killing himself after a three-hour standoff.
He had earlier stabbed another woman believed to be one of his wife's friends prior to going to the school.
Also on Thursday, a suburban city council meeting in the Midwestern state of Missouri became a scene of carnage when an enraged gunman burst in and shot seven people, five of them fatally.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in