A Venezuelan-led mission to rescue three hostages held by leftist rebels in Colombia's jungles was on the verge of collapse on Monday, with the guerrillas telling Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez that Colombia's military was preventing the handoff.
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe dismissed the claim as a lie by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) saying his government would permit a cease-fire corridor to let the rebels turn over the hostages.
"The FARC terrorist group doesn't have any excuse. They've fooled Colombia and now they want to fool the international community," Uribe said from the central Colombian city where Venezuela helicopters have been waiting since Friday for word from the guerrillas on where the hostages could be picked up.
PHOTO: AFP
Uribe raised the possibility that one of the hostages, a boy thought to be three years old and fathered by a guerrilla, could have turned up in Bogota.
The Colombian leader said only DNA tests were required to prove or disprove "this hypothesis" -- which he said could be done as soon as the boy's grandmother returns from Caracas, where she has been waiting for the release of her daughter, Clara Rojas, and grandson Emmanuel.
MESSAGE
Chavez said he received a message from FARC on Monday saying Colombian military operations were preventing them from freeing three hostages they had agreed to turn over to Chavez -- including the boy, Rojas and former congresswoman Consuelo Gonzalez.
Speaking on Venezuelan state TV, Chavez said the rebels wrote in a letter that "the military operational attempts in the zone impede us for now from turning over" the three hostages.
'ANOTHER OPTION'
Venezuela and FARC could consider "another option, a clandestine option" to evade Colombian patrols and turn over the hostages, Chavez said, adding that such a mission could be "extremely risky."
Alternately, Chavez said that "a ceasefire could open some doors."
FARC, in the letter read by Chavez and dated Sunday, said that "insisting on [a handover] in these conditions would be putting at risk" the lives of hostages and guerrillas sent to turn them over.
"FARC lies. The Colombian government keeps its word," Uribe said.
Uribe last month abruptly ended Chavez' efforts to broker a wider swap of 44 high-profile hostages -- including three US defense contractors and former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt -- for hundreds of jailed rebels.
But hostages' relatives have urged the leftist leader on, saying he was the only intermediary capable of breaking a government-rebel deadlock.
The two sides have not held face-to-face talks since Uribe took power in 2002.
The US-allied Uribe has instead used some US$600 million in annual military and intelligence aid from Washington to push the half-century-old insurgency deeper into the jungle.
Also See: Venezuela launches new currency in face of inflation
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told