Brazil voiced "unhappiness" on Saturday at the British authorities' decision not to punish any of the 15 police officers involved in the shooting death of a Brazilian man they had mistaken for a suicide bomber.
"The foreign ministry expresses its unhappiness with the decision of the Independent Police Complaints Commission [IPCC] which absolves four senior officers involved in the death of the Brazilian citizen Jean Charles de Menezes," a government statement said.
The commission said on Friday the four officers, including the commander of the operation, Cressida Dick, should not face internal disciplinary action over the shooting.
Eleven other Metropolitan Police officers initially questioned over the shooting had already been told they would not face punishment.
De Menezes, a 27-year-old electrician, was shot seven times in the head at close range in an underground train in London, two weeks after the July 2005 London bombings in which 52 innocent people died.
The police were searching for four men who tried and failed to blow themselves up in copycat attempted bombings.
The Metropolitan Police was fined on Nov. 1 for breaching health and safety laws in the case. But the jury in that proceeding added a clause to the verdict saying that "no personal culpability" should be attached to Dick.
The case will now be concluded at an separate standard inquest into De Menezes' death itself.
His family said the ruling was a "scandal."
"It is entirely premature for the IPCC to do this before an inquest where vital evidence about the actions of these officers could come to light," said De Menezes' cousin Vivian Figuierdo.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in