The death toll from China's latest major coal mine disaster rose to 105 yesterday, official media said, as hopes for survivors ebbed in a tragedy compounded by bungled rescue efforts.
Twenty-six more bodies were recovered yesterday morning following a gas explosion at the mine in northern China's Shanxi Province, Xinhua news agency said.
At least 120 workers were in the Ruizhiyuan mine at the time of the accident on Wednesday night, although the exact number is not known, Xinhua said, citing the local rescue headquarters.
Fifteen people have been rescued or managed to escape, it said.
The State Administration of Mine Safety said it remained unclear how many were still missing.
"We still don't know the exact numbers who are trapped. We are trying to clarify that," administration spokeswoman An Yuanjie (
But she said any who remained underground were likely to be dead.
"The chances of them surviving are very small because it was a gas explosion," she said.
Local residents contacted by Agence-France Presse by telephone described nearby communities -- home to many of the mine's workers -- as grief-stricken, and said many angry relatives had rushed to the colliery seeking news.
"We are all full of sorrow," said a male resident of Hongguang village, where the mine is located.
"It was a big mine and many of the miners were from here," he said, declining to give his name.
Official media blamed the mine's managers, saying they allowed mining in an unauthorized area of the site to extract more coal than their license allowed.
Compounding their mistakes, they allegedly failed to report the accident for more than five hours while sending in their own rescue teams, which were not properly trained, wasting precious time.
"They sent rescue teams down the shaft but they were not professional rescue teams ... this made the accident even worse," An said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told