Rescuers found the bodies of two people killed when an Indian highway overpass collapsed, crushing vehicles and injuring pedestrians sheltering from a rainstorm, an official said yesterday.
The collapse left the two dead and injured nine others, said C.V.S.K. Sharma, a senior municipal official in the southern city of Hyderabad.
Sharma said several vehicles were still buried under the rubble after the highway, which had been under construction, collapsed on Sunday night in Hyderabad, the capital of Andhra Pradesh state.
PHOTO: AP
Rescue workers cleared away debris through the night and into yesterday in a search for victims who might have been pinned beneath the debris or inside the cars and three-wheeled taxis that were smashed when the steel girders fell.
On Sunday, police said up to 20 people were feared dead. But officials lowered the death toll dramatically the next day after some of the rubble was removed.
In Hyderabad, a city still recovering from twin bomb blasts on Aug. 25 that killed at least 43 people, Police Chief Balwinder Singh said the collapse appeared to have been caused by construction failure, not an act of sabotage.
"The indications are that structural problems had led to the mishap," Singh said.
Sharma said police have launched an inquiry to determine whether the contractor, Gamon India, was negligent in the construction of the overpass.
Officials at Gamon India could not be immediately reached for comment.
The overpass was being built to connect the city's wealthy Banjara Hills residential neighborhood with Panjagutta, a busy commercial area.
The incident occurred during a heavy rainfall. Traffic jams delayed ambulances and rescue equipment being rushed to the site from across the city.
"I am shocked and deeply grieved by the accident," Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said in a statement carried by the Press Trust of India.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told