A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the murder of Rhys Jones, 11, who was shot dead in Croxteth, Liverpool, on his way home from playing soccer.
The arrest is the 17th by Merseyside police in connection with the inquiry. Rhys's funeral will take place today at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral. The hearse will pause outside Everton's Goodison Park soccer ground on its way to the cathedral.
Dave Kelly, the senior investigating officer, said: "We have a very clear strategy for this investigation and we are determined to leave no stone unturned. We are confident about the swift progress we are making, and want to thank the public for their ongoing support."
Police say that the killer escaped on a BMX bike shortly after the shooting in the car park of the Fir Tree pub, Croxteth, on Aug. 22. He is described as 13 to 15 years old, about 1.7m tall and wearing dark clothes and white sneakers.
Detectives are continuing to appeal for the driver of a red car to come forward and help them with their inquiries. The motorists would have been on Fir Tree Drive North at around 7:40pm on the night of the shooting and may have seen a cyclist riding towards Dam Wood.
Eleven people have been bailed and a further five have been released without charge because they are being treated as witnesses.
"People are aware that we have described one individual firing a gun but, as with any offense, there are various stages and elements to it, including where the gun came from and what happened afterwards. When we have grounds to suspect people involved in any stage, they will be arrested," Kelly said.
Sources say a 19-year-old man was spotted sprinting across the pub car park after the first shot was fired before taking cover behind a bus shelter.
One theory is that the shooting was ordered by an 18-year-old member of the Croxteth Crew, a local gang, possibly linked to a dispute over a girl.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in