London's Metropolitan Police were investigating yesterday shootings of two teenagers, as well as a stabbing, on the final day of the Notting Hill Carnival.
The incidents marred what police described as a mostly peaceful carnival -- Europe's biggest street festival -- and comes a recent set of high-profile shootings of teenagers.
One of the two youths shot was a 17-year-old found by police, bleeding from his shoulder, who were answering reports of shots being fired in the Notting Hill area at around 7:30pm on Monday.
Police have made an arrest in connection with the shooting of the boy, who has not yet been identified.
At about 9pm, a 14-year-old boy, also unidentified, was shot in the leg at the carnival, though it is believed he will be released from hospital later yesterday.
No one has yet been arrested in connection with that shooting.
Also in the area of the carnival, a man in his 20s was stabbed, though his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
In a separate incident, police arrested three people in connection with the attempted murder of a man at the carnival on Sunday, a spokesman said. The man, who was taken to a nearby hospital, was in stable condition on Monday.
The carnival has been marred by violence in past years. Two men were murdered in 2000, and memories of 1976 riots still linger.
London's Metropolitan Police deployed around 11,000 officers this year, and were using metal detectors at Underground railway stations to net knives and guns.
Ahead of the carnival, police said they had arrested 21 people they suspected might cause trouble at the event, for a variety of offences.
In all, police said there were around 200 arrests over the duration of the carnival, compared to last year's 238 arrests.
The festival was originally launched in 1959 by post-World War II immigrants from what were then Britain's Caribbean colonies, as a community act of defiance following ugly race riots.
It was held in various parts of London before settling in Notting Hill in 1964.
The shootings come just days after 11-year-old Rhys Jones was fatally shot in a parking lot, an incident that sparked much soul-searching in his home town of Liverpool and across Britain over the apparent rise of gun crime.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in