Rescue teams in Peru's shattered earthquake zone were heading home yesterday, as search operations were replaced by stepped-up aid efforts and security patrols against looters.
Last Wednesday's powerful 8.0-magnitude quake killed at least 503 people, and the final toll "could reach 540," civil defense officials said. Some 1,600 people were injured.
Most of the deaths occurred in the town of Pisco, 240km south of the capital Lima.
There, 308 people were confirmed killed -- 160 of them in the town's church, which collapsed during mass.
National police colonel Roger Torres said a further 150 were believed still to be buried in rubble elsewhere in Pisco, an evaluation backed by the odor of decomposing bodies.
Peruvian President Alan Garcia, on Sunday making his third visit to the town, raged against the looting and assaults reported in several affected areas and said he would restore order "whatever the cost."
"I have ordered the use of the harshest measures and if needed to impose a curfew," he told reporters.
More than 1,000 troops and police armed with assault rifles were patrolling the streets of Pisco, 70 percent of which was destroyed.
As security forces were reinforced, teams involved in search and rescue were packing up and returning home. Any hope of finding more survivors had now been extinguished.
"The possibility of finding someone alive is nearly nil," said Jorge Molina, search and rescue operations chief for the fire department.
An offer of yet another rescue team, from Mexico, was rejected by Peru, which instead asked for food, tents, medicine, clothing and water for the estimated 200,000 people left homeless.
A Mexican hospital ship carrying tonnes of such aid left on Sunday for the Peruvian port of San Martin, which it was expected to reach a week later.
Argentina also sent 20 tonnes of similar cargo by plane, and a specialized disaster management team, while Spain sent 30 tonnes of aid.
Brazilian Foreign Minister Celso Amorim came to the disaster zone with 40 tonnes of food, promising to deliver a planeload of medical supplies today.
Meanwhile, a mass grave was being dug at Pisco's cemetery as an "emergency measure," police officer Jose Sanchez said.
Aid workers were also worried about the risk of an outbreak of disease in the town.
Health Minister Carlos Vallejos said some 1,500 doctors and nurses were struggling to prevent the spread of epidemics.
"The problem is not only that there are still unfound bodies, the problem is water," and how human waste is being disposed of, he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told