Afghan police rescued a German aid worker who was snatched while dining with her husband at a restaurant in the capital, and arrested four suspected kidnappers in the sting operation yesterday, officials said.
Hundreds of police freed the 31-year-old German in a raid at 12.30am in western Kabul not far from the area where she was taken captive on Saturday, Interior Ministry spokesman Zemerai Bashary said.
He said authorities have arrested and are interrogating "four suspects who are directly involved in this case." He said more than 300 police were involved in the operation.
"We arrested four people, one of them is in the top of this band," Bashary told reporters. "The rest were his colleagues, his friends."
Police are searching for other accomplices, he said. Preliminary investigations show that the gang was criminal, and that they demanded US$1 million for the woman's release.
A video broadcast on Sunday said the kidnappers were demanding a prisoner swap.
Amrullah Saleh, the head of the Afghan intelligence service, said the leader of the criminal gang had been freed from a northern Afghan prison two months earlier.
Saleh and Interior Minister Zarar Ahmad Muqbal oversaw the operation, which involved police and intelligence officers.
A spokeswoman for Germany's Foreign Ministry in Berlin confirmed the woman was "in safety at the German Embassy" in Kabul.
Earlier in the day, the captive, who identified herself as Christina Meier, appeared on a video broadcast by a local television station.
Meier, who worked for the Christian organization Ora International in Kabul, was taken by four men who pulled up to the restaurant in a gray Toyota Corolla. One went inside and asked to order a pizza, two others waited outside the restaurant, and a third remained in the car, intelligence officials investigating the incident said.
The man in the restaurant pulled out a pistol, walked up to a table where Meier was sitting with her husband and took her, the officials said on condition of anonymity. The husband was not abducted.
Police spotted the speeding car and opened fire, but hit a nearby taxi and killed its driver.
On Sunday, a private Afghan television station broadcast a video in which Meier was shown sitting on the floor inside a room, her head covered with a white scarf.
She was prompted to make remarks both in English and in Dari by a man speaking in broken English. The man then instructed her to show a copy of her German passport and an ID card issued by the aid group she works for.
Tolo TV, which broadcast the video, did not say how it obtained it.
"I am fine. There are no threats against me. I want my country to do what it can for my release," she said in Dari, reading from a piece of paper.
A voice off camera prompted her to say, "to help" and told her to also use the word "urgent."
"Please help for my release, and help me," she said.
A man wearing sunglasses, and his head covered with a scarf, later appeared in the video and demanded that the Afghan government release a number of unidentified prisoners. He said a member of their group would provide the government with a list.
"We are not bad people. We are a special network," the man said at the end of the video.
Meanwhile, dozens of Taliban insurgents attacked an Afghan army compound in southern Afghanistan, and the ensuing gunbattle left 10 suspected militants dead and four others wounded, an official said yesterday. There were no casualties among Afghan troops.
The clash began on Sunday night when the Taliban fired on the compound in the Sangin district of Helmand Province, said Eizatullah Khan, the district chief. He said the Taliban left behind the dead bodies after the two-hour battle and fled with the wounded.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told