Rescue crews aided by dogs searched into the night for occupants of a missing minibus and other possible victims feared bur-ied in a huge crater after the earth gave way at a construction site for a new subway station.
Witnesses told police that the minibus with a driver, fare collector and two passengers aboard fell into the crater when the construction site collapsed on Friday, said Etrusco Juarez, a spokesman for Sao Paulo's state public security department.
Two pedestrians and a truck driver who was working at the construction site next to one of Sao Paulo's busiest highways are also missing and may be buried underneath the rubble, the government's Agencia Brasil news agency said.
The effort continued after darkness fell on Saturday, and authorities said it was still possible that people have may have survived more than 24 hours after the accident. But they have not found any sign of the minibus or possible victims.
"We're making every possible effort in the search for the people who disappeared," Sao Paulo State Governor Jose Serra told reporters.
Witnesses said the structure gave way without warning, opening a huge hole about 60m wide and 38m deep which swallowed dump trucks and tied up traffic for miles in South America's biggest city.
Two cars were removed from the rubble and a towering crane at the edge of the hole that threatened to topple over was stabilized overnight. But more than 100 people living near the site were evacuated and put up in hotels because of fears that the crane weighing 50 tonnes might still collapse, Sao Paulo's civil defense department said in a statement.
Local media reported three construction workers were hurt in the incident, but officials said none of the injuries were life-threatening.
The cause of the collapse was under investigation, but the consortium of Brazilian companies building the subway station said in a statement that heavy tropical rains this year may have contributed by softening the underground area around the construction site.
"All efforts are focusing now on the rescue of possible victims," said Consorcio Via Amarela, a group that includes Constructora Norberto Odebrecht SA, Brazil's largest construction company.
The consortium denied that the accident was caused by negligence.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told