At least 15 civilians were killed and dozens more wounded yesterday when Sri Lankan air force jets "carpet-bombed" Tamil Tiger-held territory in the north of the island, according to a pro-rebel Web site.
Tamilnet.com said that the government raid against the coastal hamlet of Padahuthurai, located near Mannar, left only five out of 25 homes standing.
It said at least 15 civilians, including 4 children, had been killed in the raid, and a further 30 people had been seriously wounded.
No independent verification of the toll was available.
SEA TIGER BASE
A Sri Lankan air force spokesman confirmed air raids had been carried out against areas held by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in the north and east of the island, including near Mannar, but said the target was a Sea Tiger base.
"We carried out air raids on an identified Sea Tiger base north of Mannar," Group Captain Ajantha Silva said.
He also said that Tamil Tiger radio communications that had been intercepted by the government indicated that the rebels had suffered serious casualties.
SECOND RAID
A second air raid on LTTE territory at Vakarai in the east of the island had also been carried out, using Israeli-built Kfir jets, Silva said.
"The air force bombers destroyed a Tiger mortar position," Silva said.
The violence came after both Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse and the LTTE wished for peace on the island in their New Year messages.
PEACE WISHES
"We hope the New Year will bring the long awaited genuine and sustainable peace," Rajapakse said in his message to the public.
The LTTE expressed its hope that the world would "stand with the Tamil people in their sincere effort to seek a permanent peace through a just political solution."
The rebels are fighting for independence for the island's minority 2.5 million Tamil community.
An upsurge in violence between the government troops and the Tamil Tiger rebels left more than 3,500 people dead last year, despite a truce in place since February 2002 that was brokered by Norwegian diplomats.
The conflict has claimed more than 60,000 lives since 1972.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told