A gunman carried a cache of weapons past security in a giant envelope, chained a law office's doors closed and fatally shot three people before a police sniper killed him as he held a hostage at gunpoint, authorities said.
Officers entered through another door in the U-shaped office, and a SWAT officer shot the gunman from about 45m away, Superintendent Phil Cline said. There was no negotiation and the hostage was unharmed, he said.
The shootings on Friday afternoon at the 43-story Citigroup Center, which also houses a train station, sent office workers fleeing and stranded rush-hour commuters.
PHOTO: AP
Cline said the gunman, who was armed with a revolver, a knife and hammer, did not work in the office but demanded to see one of the victims who was killed.
"He was not employed there but we feel he did have previous encounters with the individuals in that office," Cline said.
Fire officials said they received reports of shots fired on the 38th floor, which houses law offices, around 3:15pm.
The shooter "grabbed a hostage and he was pointing a gun alternately at the hostage's head and his own head," Cline said.
There were about 30 people on the floor during the shooting. The law office specializes in patent law, officials said.
None of the dead victims, all men, or the gunman was identified. A fourth victim, a woman, was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the foot, but was expected to be released later on Friday night, Rush University Medical Center spokeswoman Kim Waterman said.
Cindy Penzick, secretary in a law firm on the 37th floor, said that after a coworker told her she heard gunshots, a police officer with his gun drawn on their floor yelled at them to get out.
Penzick said she is usually calm, "But I have to tell you this was scary as hell."
People hurried down the escalators and ran from the skyscraper on the west side of downtown.
Keegan Greene, who works at Verizon Wireless on the first floor, was helping a customer when fire alarms began going off.
"One of the security guards came up to us and started saying, `Run, run, run, run, run,'" Greene said.
Service on the Metra commuter line was suspended for more than an hour and area buses were diverted while the incident unfolded. Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said all Metra crew mem-bers had been locked into secure areas before train service resumed just after 5pm.
Janet Buswell, an office manager on the 25th floor, said her staff learned of the incident when emergency flashers went off and they were told over building speakers to secure their offices and let no one in or out.
"It was a little tense, when you don't know what's going on," said Buswell, of RBC Dain Rauscher. "Of course this is the train station building, so there's always the fear that it could be targeted."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in