Hundreds have canceled holidays in southern Thailand after a series of weekend blasts ripped apart a tourist area, killing four people and wounding dozens, officials said yesterday.
"Malaysian and Singapore[an] tourists, who are majority of our customers, have canceled their reservations, citing the bomb scares," a receptionist at Hat Yai's Novotel Central Hotel said. "Before this, we were fully booked every weekend."
Thai police have yet to make any arrests over Saturday's attacks in the main southern tourist hub of Hat Yai.
PHOTO: AFP
The unrest continued on Sunday night as militants torched school buildings, including a daycare center, and destroyed several vehicles.
An attempt to bomb a military convoy in southern Thailand's Narathiwat province -- one of three Muslim-majority provinces gripped by an Islamic insurgency -- was also made, police said.
No one was hurt in the attacks, which police said were meant to spread fear among a nervous population that has already been shaken by daily shootings and bombings.
More than 1,400 people have been killed since January 2004, and experts warn the violence appears to be intensifying.
Saturday's bombings killed four people -- three Thais and a Canadian, who was the first foreigner to die in the insurgency.
Thailand's Health Minister, Pinit Jarusombat, said 14 other foreigners were among the 72 wounded, including six Malaysians, three Singaporeans, three Britons, an Indian and an American.
The bombers targeted bars and restaurants popular with tourists in what experts say marked an escalation in the insurgency, which had so far targeted mainly police or military, but not foreigners.
Officials warned that with the latest attacks, the region's tourism sector has been dealt a serious blow.
"Apart from the cancelation of existing bookings, we are afraid that the latest attack in Songkhla [Province] would affect ... tourists' decision to come to Thailand," Apichart Sankary, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, said.
Thailand's Tourism Authority called yesterday for more security measures at airports and tourist destinations.
On Sunday, Thailand's Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn made a rare public visit to Hat Yai where he spoke with residents and tourists, offering the royal family's support.
Thailand's US$12 billion-a-year tourism sector is only just recovering from the Christmas 2004 tsunami, which devastated much of the kingdom's western coastline.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told