A new luxury cruise ship that made its debut sailing last month listed heavily after leaving Port Canaveral in Florida on Tuesday, injuring dozens of passengers, two of them critically, when people were flung across decks and down stairways.
The US Coast Guard said it was not yet clear how far the 290m Crown Princess had listed. But some passengers aboard the vessel, which was carrying 3,100 guests and 1,200 crew, said it rolled dramatically.
One woman was hit by a marble table. Others suffered broken arms and bones, the witnesses said.
PHOTO: AP
"The ship actually tilted all the way down, all the way down, water came out of the pool ... people were all flying and hitting the glass," passenger Al Selmani told Miami's WSVN TV.
"The ship was actually going to flip over all the way ... everybody was panicking, everybody was crying, chairs were falling everywhere. I mean, it looked like the ship was going down," he said.
Tom Daus, 32, was sunbathing on the ship's upper deck when the ship began to list.
"It became very disastrous because ... tables, glasses, lounge chairs went flying," he said in a cellphone interview. "The water came gushing out of the pool like a mini-tsunami," he said. "It was really scary."
Princess Cruises said on its Web site the ship was "safe and seaworthy" after an unexpected list to its starboard, or right, side.
Two people in critical condition, one of them a child, were flown by helicopter to hospital in Orlando, said Captain Jim Watson of the Cape Canaveral Fire Department.
Fifteen people considered to be in serious condition were taken by ambulance to hospitals, 18 "walking wounded" were taken away in buses and another 30 people remained on board in need of attention, Watson said.
The Crown Princess cruise was escorted by Coast Guard vessels and tug boats back to a wharf lined with ambulances.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in