Pope Benedict threw his authority behind a new and uncompromising approach to sex abuse in the Roman Catholic Church on Friday when he ordered one of its most influential figures, who faces multiple allegations, to give up his ministry and retire to a life of "prayer and repentance."
A statement issued by the Vatican said 86-year-old Father Marcial Maciel, the founder of the ultra-orthodox Legion of Christ, had only escaped a full trial in an ecclesiastical court because of his "advanced age [and] frail health."
Father Maciel's case had been repeatedly shelved by Church leaders over a period of 30 years.
The statement made a point of noting that the sanctions against the priest had been personally endorsed by the pontiff.
His landmark ruling astonished and delighted campaigners for the victims of abuse. It represented a clear departure from the timorous policy of John Paul II, and appeared to be a first step toward fulfilling the new pontiff's vow to sweep "filth" from the Church.
The Legion said in a statement that its founder maintained his innocence but accepted the Vatican's decision with "faith, complete serenity and tranquillity of conscience."
It said he considered the ruling "a new cross that God, the father of mercy, has allowed him to suffer and that will obtain many graces for the Legion of Christ."
Father Maciel is revered by tens of thousands of followers in more than 20 countries. His official biography gives his distinguishing characteristic as "his strong commitment to the family."
Church leaders have described how the late pope would highlight their shortcomings by contrasting them unfavorably with Father Maciel.
In 1991, pope John Paul presided at a mass ordination of Legionaries at St Peter's and three years later made their founder a permanent adviser to the Vatican department responsible for priests.
The US-based Survivors' Network of those Abused by Priests welcomed Pope Benedict's decision as a "wise and compassionate step."
The organization added: "We deeply appreciate that, at the highest levels of the Church, action has been taken against such an extraordinarily high-ranking Catholic leader."
Allegations of sex abuse have been the subject of controversy within the Roman Catholic Church ever since they burst into the open in the US four years ago.
However, Father Maciel was first accused in 1976, when the case against him was taken up by a US bishop.
The allegations concerned his behavior toward young seminarians in Spain and Italy in the 1940s and 1950s. Documents sent to the Vatican were ignored on three occasions.
But in 1991, seven other former Legionaries accused Father Maciel of abusing them, and the following year a case was lodged with the Vatican department of which Pope Benedict, the former Cardinal Ratzinger, was then head. Once again, proceedings were halted.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying