Heavy monsoon rains smashed three homes in western India, killing 17 occupants yesterday as flooding caused hunger and homelessness across South Asia, affecting millions of people.
The homes collapsed in Bharuch in Gujarat state, bringing the toll from six weeks of monsoons to 1,644, according to official figures compiled by reporters.
Heavy rains in western India over the past few days have blocked traffic and cut off highways, causing massive traffic pileups and power outages.
On Tuesday, mudslides triggered by heavy monsoon rains surged into an underground tunnel of a power project, killing 11 workers and injuring another 10, said officials at the Tehri project in Uttaranchal state, 300km north of New Delhi.
In neighboring Bangladesh, UN agencies were meeting with foreign donors and government officials in the national capital Dhaka yesterday to assess the flood damage and relief and rehabilitation needs.
The meeting is in preparation for an aid appeal the UN is planning to launch next week, UN officials in Dhaka said.
Thirty-nine deaths were reported Tuesday in Bangladesh, nine of them from diarrhea that is spreading as waters recede, leaving behind sewage and filth and contaminating drinking water, officials said.
Children are the worst affected in the outbreak of diarrhea, dysentery and typhoid.
Nearly two-thirds of Bangladesh is submerged by the worst flooding in six years, and 628 people have died. The government says 20 million people -- or one-seventh of the population -- would need food aid over the next five months.
Weather officials predicted heavy rains in northern and western Indian states over the coming week, while in the eastern states and Bangladesh officials worried about feeding the hungry and providing shelter to hundreds of thousands whose houses have been washed away.
"In my village, people have lost everything; food stocks, homes, livelihood, everything," said Sudhir Jha, a government worker in India's Bihar state, where the floods have destroyed some 50,000 houses and submerged 2.9 million hectares of maize and rice crop land.
State officials estimate the losses from one of Bihar's worst floods in years is 80 billion rupees (US$1.7 billion).
The cash-strapped state government has failed to evacuate flood victims and provide them with relief.
At least 611 people have died in Bihar, nearly half of their bodies were recovered only after rains decreased and floodwaters began to recede.
Jha's village, Kothia, is in the worst-hit district of Darbhanga, where angry residents raided two government food storehouses.
"They hadn't eaten for days," Jha said.
"What the government gave was too little, and came too late," said Arun Choudhury, a government clerk who returned to the state capital, Patna, after being stranded for nearly three weeks in his flooded village.
The state government in Bihar has yet to estimate how many millions of people are battling hunger as they huddle in makeshift shelters along embankments, highways and railroad tracks.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The