A senior North Korean foreign ministry official will make a rare trip to the US soon, becoming the highest-ranking figure from Pyongyang to visit since US President George W. Bush took office.
News of the planned US visit by Ri Gun, deputy head of US affairs at North Korea's foreign ministry, came as the State Department's point man on the crisis over North Korea's nuclear programs headed to Beijing for talks.
The US embassy declined to comment on Ri's expected trip, which would follow on the heels of a visit to Washington by Pyongyang's UN ambassador -- the first allowed by the Bush administration.
"He is going to Washington, I believe, quite soon," a South Korean diplomat said yesterday, referring to Ri.
"He is going ... to attend some seminar," the diplomat said.
A Chinese expert on North Korea said Ri, a key negotiator at six-party talks on the crisis, would visit the US soon, though the dates were not clear.
A diplomatic source in Tokyo said Ri would also visit New York for about a week and attend a gathering of scholars, experts and officials on Aug. 10.
Ri was also likely to meet US officials and to discuss the nuclear issue, said the source who declined to be identified.
The US State Department's North Korea negotiator, Joseph DeTrani, was due in Beijing shortly, an embassy official said yesterday.
Ri's visit to Washington would follow last week's visit to the US capital by the North Korean envoy to the UN, Pak Gil-yon.
His presence there possibly reflected progress at recent talks to end North Korea's nuclear-weapons programs.
North Korea's UN ambassador must obtain State Department permission to travel outside a 40km radius around New York city.
Ri was chief negotiator at three-party talks between North Korea, the US and host China in April of last year, and has been in the delegation at later rounds of six-way talks that included South Korea, Japan and Russia.
Meanwhile, China is proposing that six-party "working level" talks on North Korea's nuclear programs be held from Aug. 11 to Aug. 14, Japanese public broadcaster NHK television reported yesterday.
Quoting unidentified Chinese government officials in Beijing, NHK said China was stressing that the working-level talks should be held in the middle of next month so that senior-level six-way talks could take place by the end of September.
Japan's top government spo-kesman, Hiroyuki Hosoda, said yesterday that no dates for working-level talks had been set.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told