A former US soldier who is alleged to have deserted to North Korea four decades ago was to meet Indonesian President Mega-wati Sukarnoputri yesterday, an Indonesian official said.
Charles Robert Jenkins, his Japanese wife Hitomi Soga and their two daughters are sche-duled to meet Megawati at her private residence at 5pm, said presidential spokesman Garibaldi Sujatmiko.
Jenkins, who is suffering complications from earlier stomach surgery and other ailments, is set to travel to Japan today for medical treatment despite attempts by Washington to pursue legal action against him.
In Tokyo earlier yesterday, US ambassador to Japan Howard Baker said Washington may delay its request for Jenkins' transfer to US custody due to his health condition.
"I acknowledged to Foreign Minister [Yoriko] Kawaguchi that the US government is sympathetic to his health condition and that Sergeant Jenkins' medical condition may delay our request for his transfer to US custody," he said in a statement after holding talks with the Japanese minister.
"There are no plans for US officials to see Jenkins in the immediate future," Baker added, while noting Washington has "the right to custody of Sergeant Jenkins and will do so at the appropriate time."
Baker told officials of the Japanese ruling coalition he believed Jenkins should turn himself in to US authorities and negotiate.
Washington has viewed Jenkins as a deserter since he disappeared near the border between North and South Korea while on patrol in 1965. Japan would have a treaty obligation to hand him over. However Jenkins's family in the US say they believe he did not desert but was captured and then brainwashed in the Stalinist state.
North Korean officials, who had initially resisted Jenkins' decision to go to Japan, said here on Friday they would now respect his wishes.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told