One visitor from China who attended Hong Kong's huge march for meaningful voting rights said it brought back memories of the Tiananmen Square democracy movement that was crushed by troops in Beijing on June 4, 1989.
The man, who identified himself only as Yan, said he participated in the student protests in Beijing, where hundreds if not thousands were killed in the crackdown. Yan said he was pleased to see that Hong Kong still clings to the speech rights that are denied in the rest of China.
"This feels like I'm back at the June 4 movement again," Yan said Thursday night as Hong Kong's march was winding down. "You can only experience this kind of feeling in Hong Kong."
Tour operators said the number of mainland visitors slowed to a trickle over the past three days, as the 400 to 600 groups that normally enter each day fell to only about 50 a day. Some democracy activists voiced suspicions that China cut off the flow of visitors so mainlanders wouldn't get any ideas from having a firsthand look at the Hong Kong democracy protest.
But there were plenty of mainland residents in Hong Kong on Thursday, when local activists organized the massive march to demand universal suffrage in the former British colony. Organizers put the turnout at 530,000, while police said there had been 200,000.
The Chinese visitors voiced differing views about the rally -- which would not be permitted in the mainland.
Xiao Yang, 40, a doctor from Hubei Province, knew about the protest but said he had no plans to join it.
"It is the demonstration of Hong Kong's freedom and an open government," Xiao said. "I think the protest is a proper channel for people to voice their opinions."
But outside an official flag-raising ceremony Thursday morning that marked the seventh anniversary of Hong Kong's return from Britain to China, another mainlander had harsh words for the activists.
A small group of demonstrators -- carrying a mock black coffin -- tried to push their way toward the official gathering but were held back by police.
"They are so stupid," said accountant Bob Zhuang, 30, who was waving a Chinese red flag on his way out of the official ceremony. "Should such a protest really be allowed in this territory?"
After speaking briefly with a reporter, Zhuang stepped into a chauffeur-driven Jaguar and was quickly whisked away -- showing his status as one of the mainlanders who have achieved financial success amid China's economic boom without rocking any political boats.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of