China's government is pledging to intensify the fight against what it considers social evils -- street crime and terrorism, Falun Gong and the corrupt officials that are undermining leaders' claims of putting people first.
The country's top judge and top prosecutor, in reports before the National People's Congress session running through Sunday, acknowledged the many problems that face their changing society, but insisted the government has matters in hand.
Chief prosecutor Jia Chunwang told legislators that in the past year China has "resolutely attacked ethnic separatists, religious extremists, violent terrorists, and Falun Gong and other types of criminal organized movements."
The Falun Gong spiritual movement was banned by the government in 1999 as an "evil cult."
Supreme Court Chief Justice Xiao Yang said bribe-taking and other corruption persists within China's courts, seriously hurting the legal system's reputation, and that officials will "spare no efforts to solve the problem."
Chinese leaders fear growing anger over official corruption might trigger unrest and threaten their grip on power.
"We are paying more and more attention to controlling it," said Yu Baofa, a congressional delegate from Shandong Province. "The government is even willing to deal with high-level leaders.... It will put the person in jail."
Xiao said six ministerial-level officials had been sentenced last year for "job-related crimes," including a judge, a former governor from southwestern China and a top banking official. A total of 22,986 cases of "job-related abuse" by government officials were heard by China's courts last year, Xiao said.
Jia said prosecutors investigated 18,515 major corruption crimes involving 2,728 officials last year.
In some cases, prosecutors failed to deal with local corruption cases quickly or well enough, Jia said, promising to do more in the coming year. He vowed to "earnestly seek a solution."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told