After saving a dozen people aboard a freighter that abruptly capsized in a Norwegian inlet, rescuers desperately searched yesterday for 16 missing crew members, most of them Filipinos, despite fading hopes they would be found alive in the overturned hull.
At least two people have been confirmed dead, rescuers said.
PHOTO:EPA
"We will keep searching as long as there is hope and beyond that," said Asbjoern Andersen, operations leader for the district police. "They are still searching for signs of life in the wreck."
Facing bitterly cold weather Monday night on the North Sea, emergency teams pulled 12 people from the waters by hauling them through the bobbing hull of the 163m MS Rocknes.
Else Beth Roalso, of Rescue Coordination Center, said searchers heard no noise from inside the overturned hull overnight.
"We'll continue the search when daylight comes," she said. "We'll start searching around the shores and in the fjords."
She said five Dutch salvage experts flew in yesterday morning to help pump air pockets inside the hull, a process which was still ongoing.
"But the boat isn't stable enough to let the divers go in yet," Roalso said.
As hopes faded for finding more survivors inside the MS Rocknes, which was turned over and partly submerged in the frigid waters, experts placed containment booms around the wreck to prevent any of more than 500 tonnes of oil and diesel fuel aboard from spreading.
The freighter, with 29 crew and the Norwegian ship's pilot aboard, capsized on Monday in a narrow inlet between the island of Bjoroey and Norway's western coast, less than 200m from land, at about 1530GMT just after it put out a distress call.
Witnesses said the 166m freighter, loaded with rocks and headed for Germany, appeared to struggle before it flipped over. The cause of the accident wasn't yet known.
Cecelia Wathne, also of Rescue Coordination Center, southern Norway, said the crew included 24 Filipinos, three citizens of the Netherlands, two Norwegians and one German. The nationalities of the missing crew weren't released.
Arleen Asuncion, from the Manila office of Bergen-based boat owner Jebsen Management, confirmed that one Filipino seaman died. Eight Filipinos were rescued and being treated in the Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen, while 15 Filipinos were still missing, she said.
She had no information about the cause of the accident. Families of all Philippine crew members had been informed of the wreck and a center was being set up to help them.
After hours of effort, rescuers managed to cut a hole in the ship and pull out three crew members who had been heard pounding the inside of the ship's hull on Monday night.
"All of them were conscious, and talking," said Trygve Hillestad, a police spokesman at the scene, adding they were taken out seven hours after the ship flipped over.
Early yesterday, Anders Bang-Andersen, also of the rescue center, said there had been no other signs of life emanating from the hull, which was enveloped in the subfreezing temperatures and darkness of the northern winter.
Rescuers welded the first hole shut to prevent water from entering and Andersen said new holes would only be cut if rescuers heard evidence of life inside the wreckage.
At least 15 rescue ships and small boats responded quickly, most from a nearby Norwegian naval base. Helicopters buzzed over the scene in the darkness.
Darkness and the extremely slippery surface of the ship's hull, which was covered by patches of ice, complicated the rescue effort.
Atle Jebsen, of Jebsen Management, said the freighter had been loaded with stone bound for Emden, Germany.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout