Government Information Office (GIO) Minister Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) said yesterday that he disapproved of the withdrawal of the movie Miao Miao (渺渺) from the Melbourne International Film Festival.
Su said the withdrawal of the film had been interpreted as support for “some country or some area's” oppression of human rights.
Su was referring to China, which pulled movies made in China and Hong Kong from the festival late last month in protest at the inclusion of Australian director Jeff Daniels' film 10 Conditions of Love, a documentary on the life of World Uyghur Congress president Rebiya Kadeer.
Miao Miao, co-produced by Hong Kong-based JA Movies and Taiwan Jet Tone (台灣澤東公司), a subsidiary of Hong Kong Jet Tone Film Ltd (香港澤東公司), was among the movies taken out of the festival.
In 2005, Taiwan Jet Tone received a subsidy of NT$4 million (US$123,000) to produce the film from a GIO fund designed to promote the local movie industry.
The movie is directed by Taiwanese director Cheng Hsiao-tse (程孝澤) and stars mostly Taiwanese actors.
Yesterday was not the first time Su had chosen not to name China directly when criticizing it.
In June, when asked to comment on the human rights situation in China ahead of the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, Su said the government had called on “countries or areas identified as having poor human rights records to endeavor to make improvements in this regard.”
Su did not mention China.
The GIO has demanded that Taiwan Jet Tone present the documents it submitted to the festival to register Miao Miao to determine whether the company violated a standard contract it signed with the GIO.
Under the contract, if the company submits the film to a festival, it must do so under the name “Taiwan.”
Taiwan Jet Tone has yet to respond.
There are no rules in the contract on withdrawing a film from a festival.
Su said his office would revise clarify the rights and obligations to prevent similar incidents involving government-funded films.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not