Intel Corp, the world’s largest chipmaker, yesterday debuted a high-end desktop processor, hoping the latest chip would fuel growth of the desktop segment.
Its new Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition is a six-core central processing unit that it said promised a whole new level of performance.
Ken Lau (劉景慈), a director of Intel Microelectronics Asia Ltd Taiwan Branch, said the new chipset offers 34 percent better video effects and 49 percent better game physics compared with its predecessor, which is best suited for high-end gamers or professional multimedia users.
The desktop market has been stagnant in the past few years, as more users opt for notebooks, he said.
Industry tracker International Data Corp (IDC) said earlier this week that portable PCs would remain the key driver of growth in both the consumer and business markets, grabbing a 70 percent share of all PCs shipped by 2012, while desktop shipments will continue to fall everywhere except in the Asia-Pacific region (excluding Japan).
“It is not easy to push desktops now. But small-form-factor PCs such as All-in-One [AIO] computers will take off,” said Lau, adding that AIO’s higher prices would still put some off.
Small and medium-sized businesses would also adopt small-form-factor PCs, as they save office space thanks to their compact size, Lau said.
“AIO could be the short-term engine to fuel desktop growth. But so far, we haven’t seen many upside factors that would help boost desktop penetration,” Topology Research Institute (拓墣產業研究所) researcher Ryan Lee (李易聰) said.
UNDERESTIMATED: The agency said that as its previous forecast was guided by the SARS crisis, it did not adequately account for disruptions caused by the pandemic The nation’s economy might grow just 1.67 percent this year squarely on the back of government expenditure and private investment, as exports and consumer spending have stalled, the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics (DGBAS) said yesterday. The forecast is a sizeable retreat from an estimate of 2.37 percent growth made in February before the COVID-19 outbreaks became a pandemic. “The previous forecast was guided by the SARS crisis in 2003 and therefore underestimated the ongoing pandemic, which is hitting economic activity hard at home and abroad,” DGBAS Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a media briefing in Taipei. The agency now expects exports
‘SUSCEPTIBLE’: The timing of an intervention, rather than the amount of money injected to the market, is more important, the deputy minister of finance said The National Stabilization Fund would remain on stand-by to shore up the local bourse until the COVID-19 pandemic has subsided worldwide, Deputy Minister of Finance Frank Juan (阮清華) said yesterday. Although Taiwan has stopped the virus’ spread, the fund would remain active in light of fragile financial markets across the world, said Juan, the state-run fund’s executive secretary. The government activated the fund on March 20 after the TAIEX slumped from 12,000 points to 8,600 in a short period amid a panic selloff. The main board has since recovered, yesterday closing at 10,997.21 points on turnover of NT$180.767 billion (US$6.03 billion), Taiwan
‘EXTERNAL VULNERABILITY’: The city-state’s economy in the first quarter shrank 4.7 percent quarterly due to worsening external demand outlook amid the pandemic Singapore’s embattled economy could shrink by as much as 7 percent this year, which would be the worst reading since independence in 1965, with the government saying yesterday that the COVID-19 pandemic had throttled the key export sector. The Singaporean Ministry of Trade and Industry’s forecast — which was a downgrade from the 4 percent contraction predicted in March — came as official data showed that the economy shrank 0.7 percent year-on-year in the first three months of the year, while it contracted 4.7 percent from the previous quarter. The ministry said the new estimate was made “in view of the deterioration
South Korean prosecutors yesterday summoned Samsung Electronics Co vice chairman Jay Y. Lee for questioning in an investigation into alleged accounting fraud and a controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, dealing another legal blow to the country’s largest corporation. While expected, the decision marked a deepening of a long-running probe into the billionaire scion and his shipbuilding-to-smartphones Samsung Group conglomerate. The company’s de facto leader was called into Seoul Central District Prosecutors Office at 8am in relation to allegations over illegal acts in succession plans, the Yonhap News Agency reported. Lee has been at the center of a years-long scandal