Taiwan is to commence mass production of the Tien Kung (天弓, “Sky Bow”) III, IV and V missiles by the second quarter of this year if the legislature approves the government’s NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.78 billion) special defense budget, an official said yesterday.
Commenting on condition of anonymity, a defense official with knowledge of the matter said that the advanced systems are expected to provide crucial capabilities against ballistic and cruise missiles for the proposed “T-Dome,” an advanced, multi-layered air defense network.
The Tien Kung III is an air defense missile with a maximum interception altitude of 35km.
Photo: Taipei Times
The Tien Kung IV and V are systems stemming from the Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology’s Chiang Kung (強弓, “Strong Bow”) program to develop enhanced systems based on the Tien Kung III, they said.
The Tien Kung IV and V systems respectively have maximum interception altitudes of 70km and 100km, the official said.
The Tien Kung V missile is being prepared to enter initial operational assessment after completing live-fire tests in the fourth quarter last year, they said.
Should the weapon pass the trials as planned, the institute is confident that it could enter initial production in small batches this year, they added.
Taiwan-based Transcom Inc, a microwave device and subsystems company involved in the development of Tien Kung family of systems, previously told investors that it expects to receive orders related to the missiles starting in March.
The NT$400 billion “T-Dome” program includes an allotment of NT$36.6 billion for two unspecified Chiang Kung systems with 128 missiles, a NT$125 billion allotment for a Patriot Advanced Capabilities-3 battalion, a NT$15 billion allotment for an additional order of 230 Tien Kung III missiles and a NT$115 billion allotment for National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems, in addition to purchases of Stinger missile systems.
It also includes the acquisition of Integrated Battle Command Systems to serve as the network’s command and control nodes, which is likely to cost about NT$94 billion.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a