Hewlett-Packard Co director Walter Hewlett, son of a company co-founder, has hired a proxy-solicitation firm as he opposes the second-biggest computer maker's planned US$20.5 billion purchase of Compaq Computer Corp.
Hewlett family members and the William Hewlett Revocable Trust said Tuesday they will vote their 5 percent stake against the deal. Today, Walter Hewlett's spokeswoman Joele Frank said he hired proxy solicitor MacKenzie Partners Inc.
A move like this typically signals the start of a proxy battle to control the direction of a company, and investors said it's likely that Walter Hewlett -- who previously said he hadn't decided how strongly to fight the acquisition -- is about to go on the offensive to try to lure other shareholders to his side.
"He's going to go to war," Patrick Adams, a fund manager at Choice Investment Management, which owns shares of Compaq. "He could make a strong case that H-P is better off not having Compaq."
Walter Hewlett hasn't decided whether to start asking for proxies against the purchase, though he wanted to keep the option open, Frank said.
"He knows what his options are, and should he decide a course of action, he has the team to execute it," she said.
He also has hired the San Francisco law firm of Cooley Godward LLP and San Francisco private equity firm Friedman Fleischer & Lowe to provide financial advice, Frank said.
Hewlett-Packard shares rose US$0.64 to US$18.99. They've fallen 55 percent in the past year. Compaq fell US$0.26 to US$7.73 and has dropped 71 percent in the same period.
MacKenzie, based in New York, earlier this year helped Computer Associates International Inc. successfully fend off a bid by Dallas billionaire Sam Wyly to gain a voice on the fifth-largest software maker's board and push for internal reforms.
"It looks like he's becoming more active," said Sunil Reddy, a fund manager whose Fifth Third Bancorp owns 1.1 million shares, referring to Walter Hewlett. "The chances of the deal going through are less than 50-50."
Walter Hewlett, his sisters Eleanor Hewlett Gimon and Mary Hewlett Jaffe, the William Hewlett Revocable Trust and the William and Flora Hewlett foundation own more than 100 million shares of Palo Alto, California-based Hewlett-Packard. Family members have complained that acquiring Compaq would boost the company's position in the personal-computer market, a business where profit margins are shrinking and annual sales are forecast to fall for the first time in more than 15 years.
"This is a bad transaction," Walter Hewlett, son of William Hewlett, said on Tuesday. "The sooner it ends, the better."
David Packard, a former board member whose Packard Humanities Institute owns more than 25 million shares of the company, has said he supports Walter Hewlett's view and will vote against the deal.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying