Tokyo has asked Beijing to ensure its citizens’ safety after a stabbing in a Shanghai restaurant in which two Japanese nationals were injured, Japan’s consulate in Shanghai said yesterday.
It is the latest diplomatic point of friction as the two countries are embroiled in a standoff triggered by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s suggestion that if China invaded Taiwan, it would pose an existential threat to Japan, potentially triggering a military response.
China said the incident was “an isolated public security case.”
Photo: Bloomberg
Pudong District police on Tuesday wrote on social media that they had received a report that a man “was injuring people with a fruit knife in a restaurant.”
Police said the suspect, a 59-year-old surnamed Yang (楊) who was detained at the scene, had a history of mental illness.
Three people were taken to a hospital, the statement said, with Japanese media later reporting two were Japanese.
Asked about the reports, the Japanese consulate in Shanghai confirmed that two Japanese citizens had been hurt, adding that they were receiving medical treatment.
“The Government of Japan has requested the Chinese government to ... clarify the facts and provide a clear explanation ... [and] ensure the safety and security of Japanese nationals,” a spokesperson said in a statement.
Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara later confirmed Tokyo’s request, adding that a consular alert had been sent to all Japanese residents in China.
“The government will continue, while maintaining contact with the parties concerned, to provide all possible support from the standpoint of protecting Japanese nationals,” he said.
The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday said that the third person injured was Chinese.
“This incident is an isolated public security case, and the competent Chinese authorities will handle it in accordance with the law,” spokesman Guo Jiakun (郭嘉昆) told a regular news briefing.
The restaurant reported to be the site of the attack, based on the police statement, appeared calm yesterday.
Several people in gray suits who appeared to be security were standing guard in the mall where the restaurant is located.
Police said that when Yang was detained, he had been “speaking incoherently and behaving erratically.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told