A man shot dead eight children — seven of them his own — early on Sunday in the southern US state of Louisiana in an incident of domestic violence that spanned three locations, police said.
The early morning massacre at a gray house in the city of Shreveport was the deadliest mass shooting in the US in more than two years, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive.
Two women were shot and seriously injured, including the mother of some of the slain children.
Photo: AFP
Three boys and five girls aged between three and 11 were shot and killed, the Caddo Parish Coroner’s Office said. Seven of the children were siblings, and one was a cousin.
A ninth child escaped with non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.
Police identified the gunman as Shamar Elkins, 31, who was shot dead following a police chase after carjacking a vehicle.
“At the end of that pursuit, the suspect exited the vehicle with a firearm, and ultimately our officers were forced to neutralize the suspect,” police Corporal Chris Bordelon told reporters.
An AFP videographer at the scene saw five bullet holes in the white door of the small, two-story house. Well-wishers laid bouquets of flowers nearby.
Freddie Montgomery, 72, who lives across the street, said he saw police remove bodies from the house on Sunday morning.
“At this time yesterday afternoon, all of those kids were in the front yard playing. And he [Elkins] was sitting on the porch,” Montgomery told AFP.
Bordelon said seven of the eight children were the shooter’s “own.”
He said police “are still actively investigating, trying to determine the why” and were searching for evidence in a crime scene that spanned three locations.
“We do believe him to be the only individual that fired gunshots at these locations,” he said, calling the incident a “domestic disturbance.”
Elkins is believed to have first shot his wife, and then gone to a second residence where the children were killed.
Police said that Elkins was arrested in 2019 in a firearms case in which he pleaded guilty, but they were not aware of other issues of domestic violence in his past.
US media reported that he served in the Louisiana Army National Guard for seven years, although he was never deployed, before leaving in 2020.
Elkins had marital problems with his wife and was struggling with his mental health, the New York Times reported, citing family members.
He told his stepfather, Marcus Jackson, that his wife wanted a divorce and that he was drowning in “dark thoughts,” the Times said.
“This is a terrible event to occur. It’s especially important and distressing that the victims are all children,” Shreveport Mayor Tom Arceneaux told reporters.
“It lets you know that evil still exists in the world and that we need to be fighting everything we can to overcome that evil with good, to shed light in the darkness,” he said.
The coroner’s office said the children who were killed were identified by their mothers as: Jayla Elkins, 3; Shayla Elkins, 5; Kayla Pugh, 6; Layla Pugh, 7; Markaydon Pugh, 10; Sariahh Snow, 11; Khedarrion Snow, 6; and Braylon Snow, 5.
ABC affiliate KTBS reported that the two women were shot in the head.
Police said that one of the women who had been shot in the lower part of the face had raised the alarm with a neighbor who had made the 911 emergency call to alert authorities between 5am and 5:30am.
One of Louisiana’s two US senators, Republican Bill Cassidy, called the incident an episode of “horrific violence.”
Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry said he was “heartbroken.”
US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson, who was born in Shreveport, denounced the incident on X as a “senseless tragedy.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The