In a cramped room with blistered walls on the edge of Harare, three sex workers sat pressed together on a frayed mattress spread across bare concrete.
This was the work station for the women, who say their trade turned perilous after US President Donald Trump abruptly cut foreign health aid earlier this year.
One of them, Sharon Mukakanhanga, reached into her bag and pulled out a pair of baby socks she used when there was nothing else between her and risk.
Photo: AFP
“These little socks served as condoms when I became so desperate after the American government withdrew its support from my all-time go-to safe haven,” the 43-year-old said, referring to her preferred clinic.
Mukakanhanga is among thousands of sex workers in Zimbabwe who have struggled to access HIV prevention tools since the US government cuts gutted medical centers that once provided free condoms, antiretrovirals and basic care.
For nearly two decades, the US programs, including PEPFAR, the world’s largest HIV initiative, formed a critical safety net for Zimbabwe’s fragile health system.
The first half of this year has seen 5,932 AIDS-related deaths, a rise from 5,712 in the same period last year, according to official government data.
The impact of the withdrawals was immediate, said 47-year-old HIV-positive sex worker Cecilia Ruzvidzo.
“It was a very difficult period. I literally lost my mind,” said the mother of four, who has been in the trade for nearly two decades.
She recalled leaving her most recent visit to the clinic with only 10 days of antiretrovirals.
“I could not get condoms, which are a necessity for my work. I was at risk of contracting more infections. My clients were also exposed,” she said.
With US-funded facilities being shuttered or empty, the few remaining providers say they are buckling under the pressure.
Medical charity Doctors Without Borders said its clinics in Harare suburbs such as Epworth and Mbare are stretched thin.
“They don’t know where to go. They don’t know where to seek services,” said project lead Charlotte Pignon, referring to patients, and especially sex workers.
While she did not directly link the rising deaths to the funding cuts, she said the impact of the withdrawal could not be ignored.
“It is difficult to know all the factors that are impacting those numbers, but it’s impossible to say that it’s not impacted by the US cuts either,” she said.
The scale of the fallout was still coming into focus, said Wonder Mufunda, chief executive of Harare-headquartered think tank the Centre for Humanitarian Analytics (CHA).
Mufunda said US support had previously amounted to about US$522 million, with about US$90 million directed to HIV programs.
“You wake up and you have lost such funding, there were serious disruptions,” he said, warning that deaths could rise. “It’s quite a big blow we are talking about.”
Beyond overstretched clinics, Zimbabwe’s economic free fall is pushing more people into sex work, with an estimated 40,500 women already engaged in sex work nationwide, according to CHA.
Competition had eroded the power to insist on safer sex, Cleopatra Katsande said.
Some workers were charging as little as US$0.50 per client, far less than the cost of a box of condoms, she said.
For veteran Ruzvidzo, there is no real choice.
“We knew it wasn’t safe,” she said of using baby socks as condoms. “But I had to feed my children.”
The clients did not seem to mind, she said.
“When it comes to this moment, men don’t think straight,” she said.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of