North Korea yesterday said it began steps to arrest and investigate those responsible for the failed launch of its second naval destroyer after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un expressed fury over the incident that he said was caused by criminal negligence.
The warship was damaged when a transport cradle on the ship’s stern detached early during a launch ceremony at the northeastern port of Chongjin on Wednesday, North Korean state media said. Satellite imagery on the site showed the vessel lying on its side, with most of its hull submerged and draped in blue covers.
North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) yesterday said that the severity of the damage was “not serious” and could be repaired in about 10 days.
Photo: Reuters
It said the hull on the starboard side was scratched and some seawater had flowed into the stern section, although it denied an earlier assessment that the bottom of the hull had been left with holes.
The extremely secretive nature of North Korea makes it almost impossible to verify the assessment. North Korea has a history of manipulating or covering up military-related setbacks, policy fiascoes and other mishaps, although it has periodically acknowledged such events in recent years.
Observers believe North Korea’s admission of the failed launch was likely meant to show Kim’s resolve to advance his naval capabilities and boost discipline.
North Korea’s Central Military Commission summoned Hong Kil-ho, manager of the Chongjin shipyard, as it began its investigation of the failed launch, KCNA reported.
“No matter how good the state of the warship is, the fact that the accident is an unpardonable criminal act remains unchanged, and those responsible for it can never evade their responsibility for the crime,” KCNA quoted the commission as saying.
Kim, who was present at the failed launch, had blamed military officials, scientists and shipyard operators, and ordered that the warship be repaired before a high-level ruling North Korean Workers’ Party meeting in late next month.
The damaged ship is assessed as the same class as North Korea’s first destroyer, unveiled last month with great fanfare and said to be capable of carrying various weapons, including nuclear missiles. It is the North’s biggest and most advanced warship to date and was likely built with Russian assistance, analysts said.
The North Korea-focused 38 North Web site had last week assessed that North Korea was preparing to launch the destroyer in Chongjin with a method it has rarely used. The report said the ship was being prepared to be launched sideways from the quay, while the previous destroyer launched at the western shipyard of Nampo used a floating dry dock.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told