The FBI on Wednesday accused North Korea of being behind the theft of US$1.5 billion of digital assets last week, the largest crypto heist in history.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates-based cryptocurrency exchange Bybit reported last week that it had been robbed of 400,000 in cryptocurrency ethereum.
The company said that attackers exploited security protocols during a transaction, enabling them to transfer the assets to an unidentified address.
Photo: AP
The US government has pointed the finger at Pyongyang.
“[North Korea] was responsible for the theft of approximately US$1.5 billion in virtual assets from cryptocurrency exchange, Bybit,” the FBI said in a public service announcement.
The bureau said a group called TraderTraitor, also known as the Lazarus Group, are behind the theft. It said they were “proceeding rapidly and have converted some of the stolen assets to bitcoin and other virtual assets dispersed across thousands of addresses on multiple blockchains.”
“It is expected these assets will be further laundered and eventually converted to fiat currency,” the FBI added.
Lazarus Group gained notoriety a decade ago when it was accused of hacking into Sony Pictures as revenge for The Interview, a film that mocked North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
It was also allegedly behind the 2022 US$620 million heist of ethereum and USD coin from the Ronin Network in 2022, previously the biggest crypto theft in history.
In December last year, the US and Japan blamed it for the theft of more than US$300 million of ryptocurrency from the Japan-based exchange DMM Bitcoin.
North Korea’s cyberwarfare program dates back to at least the mid-1990s, and the country has been dubbed “the world’s most prolific cyberthief” by a cybersecurity firm.
Pyongyang’s program has grown to a 6,000-strong cyberwarfare unit known as Bureau 121 that operates from several countries, a 2020 US military report said.
A UN panel on North Korea’s evasion of sanctions last year estimated the nation has stolen more than US$3 billion in cryptocurrency since 2017.
Much of the hacking activity is reportedly directed by Pyongyang’s Reconnaissance General Bureau, its primary foreign intelligence agency.
Money stolen helps to fund the country’s nuclear weapons program, the panel said.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying