A court in northern China yesterday handed lengthy prison terms to two teenagers for murdering their classmate with a shovel in March, state media reported, in a case that triggered heated public debate on juvenile delinquency.
The male suspects surnamed Zhang (張) and Li (李) were sentenced to life and 12 years in jail respectively for intentional homicide by a court in the city of Handan, China Central Television said, but no motive was given.
The court found the methods of the killing “were particularly cruel, and the circumstances were particularly heinous,” it said.
Photo: AP
A third suspect surnamed Ma (馬) escaped with a sentence of “special correctional education,” in line with the law, the broadcaster said.
All three were aged 13 at the time of the murder.
They were detained the day after the body of the 13-year-old victim, surnamed Wang (王), was found on March 10, buried in a shallow pit in an abandoned greenhouse on the city’s outskirts, state media said.
The court said Zhang bore principal responsibility for killing Wang with a shovel and initially devised the murder plan, while Li, his main accomplice, joined in the killing and subsequent burial.
Ma followed the pair to the site of the murder and witnessed the killing, but did not participate.
China in 2021 lowered the age of criminal responsibility to 12 from 14 for certain crimes, but kept minors exempt from the death penalty.
Suspects aged 12 to 14 face criminal responsibility for serious crimes such as intentional homicide if the top prosecutor approves the charges.
At the time of the crime, state media said all four were the offspring of rural migrant workers who spend most of the year working in large cities, leaving grandparents and other relatives to care for their children.
Census data from 2020 shows that such “left-behind” children, as they are called, number nearly 67 million. Academic studies show they are at higher risk of suffering mental health issues, becoming victims of bullying and criminal behavior.
At the time, some people on social media had demanded the death penalty, saying minors were receiving inadequate punishment for serious crimes.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying