Belgium yesterday opened a memorial garden on the site where notorious serial killer Marc Dutroux imprisoned his young victims, more than a quarter of a century after his crimes shocked Europe.
Authorities in the city of Charleroi last year tore down the “house of horrors,” in which Dutroux tortured and raped children in a soundproofed dungeon.
The parents of two of his victims, Julie Lejeune and Melissa Russo, were there to formally inaugurate the tree-filled garden decorated with a mural of a child watching a kite soar into the sky.
Photo: AFP
“What the memorial will represent is not death, it’s life,” lead architect Georgios Millis said. “It was a very complicated project because of the severity of the tragedy and circumstances that are still very sensitive for the families.”
Sentenced in 2004 to life imprisonment, Dutroux, today aged 66, was found guilty on charges including murder, kidnapping and rape involving six girls and young women in 1995 and 1996.
The modest red-brick building in the Marcinelle suburb of Charleroi became infamous when in August 1996 Dutroux led police to two kidnapped girls, aged 14 and 12, cowering in the basement.
The investigation into Belgium’s worst pedophile crimes established that eight-year-olds Julie and Melissa had also been held at the property for months. Their bodies were found buried at another property. A postmortem showed they had starved to death.
Public shock turned to fury as it emerged not only that police had missed a string of clues, but that Dutroux had been released from jail in 1992 after serving just three years of a 13-year sentence for the abduction and rape of five girls.
Gino Russo, the father of victim Melissa, said important questions in the case remain unanswered. He asked for the basement to be left intact for potential future investigations. The authorities agreed and the dungeon remains.
Russo said that he had “made a concession” to the city of Charleroi by collaborating on the memorial project. He said it was “impossible” Melissa and Julie could have survived in the cramped cellar of just a few square meters for more than 100 days without outside care.
“My indignation remains undiminished, it has not been appeased,” he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told