Hong Kong has sought the help of Australian former rugby union star Nick “Honey Badger” Cummins to attract visitors back — albeit using footage filmed before the COVID-19 pandemic, when masks were not compulsory.
The territory’s tourism industry has been widely wiped out by pandemic border controls that have left it internationally isolated.
It recorded just 76,000 arrivals in the first half of the year, down from 65 million for all of 2018.
Photo: Bloomberg
However, Hong Kong is gearing up for what it is billing as a grand reopening early next month, to coincide with the Rugby Sevens tournament and a banking summit.
The Hong Kong Tourism Board’s latest campaign has raised eyebrows for the picture it paints of a territory absent of many strict pandemic curbs that — unlike in much of the world — are still in place.
In three videos released on Wednesday, Cummins, a reality TV personality renowned during his playing career for his on-field aggression and colorful post-match interviews, takes in various tourist sites.
“I can’t wait for Aussies to explore Hong Kong like I have,” Cummins enthused in the news release announcing the ads.
However, masks, which remain compulsory in Hong Kong for virtually all public settings, were nowhere to be seen in the ads, nor was there any sign of the ubiquitous app used to scan entry into venues.
One of the restaurants Cummins visits, a once-legendary establishment called Tung Po, was shut down by officials just last month over a tenancy dispute.
A Tourism Board spokesperson told Agence France-Presse that the videos were shot in January 2020 and came with a disclaimer that “scenes and visuals in all promotional materials were made for advertising and creative purposes only.”
Hong Kong last month scrapped more than two years of mandatory quarantine for overseas arrivals, long after regional tourist rivals such as Singapore and Bangkok.
However, visitors are still not allowed to enter bars or restaurants for the first three days and must undergo multiple COVID-19 tests.
Public gatherings of more than four people are still banned.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding