A member of a kidnap gang that abducted a Hong Kong heiress for a multimillion-dollar ransom was yesterday jailed for 12 years after what the judge described as a “terrible ordeal” for the victim.
Queenie Rosita Law (羅君兒), granddaughter of late textiles tycoon Law Ting-pong (羅定邦), who founded the Bossini clothing chain, was abducted from her house in Hong Kong in April last year.
The 29-year-old was held in a mountain cave before family members paid a ransom of HK$28 million (US$3.61 million at today’s exchange rate). She was released three days later.
Zheng Xingwang (鄭興旺), 30, was the only suspect on trial in Hong Kong and pleaded guilty to one count of forcibly taking or detaining a person with an intent to procure a ransom.
Eight other men have appeared in court in China, where they have also pleaded guilty and are awaiting a verdict.
“The offense of kidnapping is a wicked and heinous crime,” judge Kevin Zervos said, as he sentenced Zheng at Hong Kong’s High Court.
Law and her boyfriend were asleep at her house in the quiet coastal area of Clearwater Bay when a gang of six Chinese men raided the house, tied them up and put adhesive tape over their mouths, the court heard.
They stole about HK$3 million worth of jewelry and cash from two safes, after forcing Law to give them the combinations.
They then tied her to one of the gang members and she was carried on foot to a hillside cave one-and-a-half hours away while her boyfriend was told to notify her father of the ransom demand.
Zheng provided logistical support and supplies, the court heard.
His lawyer had said that he played a different role from other members of the gang and was not involved in the robbery at Law’s home at the time of her abduction.
“I see no justification to distinguish his role from the others as he clearly came to Hong Kong with them with the sole purpose of carrying out this kidnapping,” Zervos said.
His thumb prints were found on one of the brown envelopes carrying the ransom money.
Throughout the ordeal, Law had feared for her life, even though she was not physically harmed, Zervos said.
“When she was found by two police officers, she was trembling with fear,” Zervos added. “Queenie went through a harrowing experience.”
Wearing a dark suit in court, Zheng, who is from Guizhou and married with a two year-old daughter, remained expressionless as he received his sentence through translators.
Zheng said in a letter to the court that he felt “remorseful” and apologized to Law’s family.
He was on trial in Hong Kong where he was caught; the other gang members were arrested in China.
Police in Hong Kong had embarked on a massive operation to hunt down the suspected kidnappers. Almost all of the ransom money has been recovered.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told