In China, few activities escape the watchful eye of the state — and soon, that will include square dancing. Ever-growing numbers of enthusiastic dancers — usually damas (大媽) or elderly women — have gathered on the street corners of China’s cities in recent years to gyrate in unison.
Often clad in matching outfits and wielding fans or other props, they gather around dinnertime, performing choreographed moves to sometimes thumping dance music piped through a portable boombox — or even a live band.
However, if the Chinese General Administration of Sport and the Ministry of Culture have their way, the nightly routine will be strictly regulated.
Photo: AFP
“Square dancing represents the collective aspect of Chinese culture, but now it seems that the overenthusiasm of participants has dealt it a harmful blow with disputes over noise and venues,” fitness official Liu Guoyong (劉國永) told the state-run China Daily newspaper on Tuesday.
Liu is the chief of the General Administration of Sport’s mass fitness department.
“So, we have to guide it with national standards and regulations,” he said.
According to the China Daily, authorities have hired an “expert panel” to choreograph 12 state-approved square dances.
The dances “will be introduced to local fitness sites in 31 provinces and municipalities in the next five months,” the newspaper said, adding that authorities have yet to decide standards on music volume, dance times and venues.
Square dancing has become an improbably hot topic in China, with stories on dancing damas — not all of them flattering — lighting up state media.
Some urban dwellers have complained that the elderly groovers blast their music until late at night, disturbing the peace and quiet of local residents.
In Wuhan, a simmering dispute between enthusiastic damas and their irritated neighbors made headlines in 2013 when the residents threw coins, rocks — and ultimately, feces — at the group in a bid to make them stop.
Last year, photographs of a group of middle-aged Chinese women performing a square dance routine outside the Louvre in Paris set off a debate over whether the pastime had gone too far.
A video of women attempting to perform a square dance on board a crowded passenger train in China went viral last year, sparking further controversy.
“All the negative comments on square-dancing are about reckless practicing without caring about the public benefits,” fitness trainer and square dancing expert Peter Wang (王廣成) told the China Daily. “The unified drills will help keep the dancing on the right track where they can be performed in a socially responsible way.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The