A high-profile Tibetan monk who cofounded the first Tibetan Buddhist monastery in the West and maintained contacts with Beijing was killed in China, local police and his brother said.
Three Tibetans confronted Tarap Shetrup Akong, a British national, at his residence in the southwestern city of Chengdu on Tuesday and stabbed him to death along with his nephew and a driver, Chengdu police said in a statement.
Police said the men were attacked after negotiations over a financial dispute soured, but the victim’s brother, Lama Yeshe Rinpoche, issued a statement saying the three had been “assassinated,” although he did not elaborate.
Yeshe Rinpoche wrote on the Web site of the monastery that Tarap Shetrup Akong founded in Scotland that the monk’s body has been taken to a hospital, where a postmortem will be carried out. Chengdu police said the suspected assailants have been detained and have admitted carrying out the killings. The case remains under investigation.
Calls to the mobile and office phones of the British embassy’s spokesman rang unanswered, and messages were not responded to.
Tarap Shetrup Akong co-founded the Samye Ling Monastery in 1967, making it the first Tibetan Buddhist center to be established in the West.
He maintained political ties with Beijing and met with then-Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference chairman Jia Qinglin (賈慶林) when he traveled to Britain in 2006 to explain the Chinese government’s policies in Tibet, according to Xinhua news agency.
“Though we have settled abroad for a long time, we are always concerned about the development of our motherland, in particular the development of Tibet,” Tarap Shetrup Akong was reported by Xinhua as telling Jia.
Beijing’s rule of Tibet has been turbulent. Tensions flared up last week as Chinese security forces reportedly fired into a crowd of Tibetan residents who were demanding the release of a fellow villager detained for protesting orders to display the national flag.
Overseas rights groups say that about 60 Tibetans were injured in the rare shooting, a sign that the government is tightening its control in the Himalayan region.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told