Indonesian police raided high schools yesterday and checked students’ mobile phones for celebrity porn clips downloaded from the Internet, a police spokeswoman said.
The raids in East Java are part of the police response to the online release of videos apparently showing three local celebrities — male singer Nazril Ariel and female models Luna Maya and Cut Tari — having sex.
The three young stars could each face 12 years’ jail for producing or distributing pornography under a tough anti-porn law passed in 2008.
“The operation has been conducted to keep the students away from the porn video as it would have a bad impact on them. Students are not supposed to watch that kind of video,” local police spokeswoman Sri Sukorini said. “Our targets are high school students because most of them own mobile phones.”
It is not clear how the explicit videos were obtained from Ariel’s computer or who uploaded them to the Internet, where they remain widely available despite several police raids on schools and Internet cafes over the past week.
The clips look like they were filmed by Ariel as he had sex with Maya, his current girlfriend, and Tari, his ex-girlfriend, on separate occasions.
The stars’ corporate sponsors have dropped them from product promotions, although they have denied any wrongdoing.
The scandal has again highlighted the gulf between liberal, urban Indonesians and those who hold more traditional social values.
Critics have said the police should focus on serious crime such as corruption, and have questioned why they are not cracking down on distributors of pirated, hardcore pornographic DVDs, which are available across the country.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told