Indonesian film producers said yesterday they had withdrawn a horror-comedy movie about a menstruating ghost from cinemas because of threats from hardline Muslims.
“We did this because the reaction to the film is outrageous. The situation is still tense,” K2K production house manager Evelin Hutagaol told reporters.
Hantu Puncak Datang Bulan (The Menstruating Ghost of Puncak) was screened to a selected audience in Jakarta earlier this week and was due for general release on Thursday.
PHOTO: AFP
CUTS
The producers said they made significant cuts to the film before it was approved by the mainly Muslim country’s censorship board, including most of the sex scenes.
But uncensored clips on YouTube have caught the attention of Muslim clerics and radical youth groups, who appear not to understand that the edited version is different.
Habib Salim Alattas of the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI), a Muslim vigilante group that has ordered its members to attack cinemas showing the film, said he had only seen clips on the Internet.
“We don’t want the movie to be viewed by Indonesians because it contains illicit and pornographic scenes,” the FPI chairman said. “If theaters are still screening the film, then the FPI will raid those theatres. The film damages our morals. Do we want our country to be made stupid by watching this film?”
K2K spokesman Yan Wijaya said the producers had arranged a meeting between the censors and the FPI so the vigilantes could see the edited version for themselves.
ABOVE THE LAW
“We’re still arranging the date. We have to wait as this mass organization [the FPI] is more powerful than our law,” he said.
The Indonesian Ulema Council, the country’s highest Islamic body, has urged Muslims to boycott the film but has stopped short of issuing a fatwa, or religious edict, on the matter.
Muslim leaders in September condemned plans for Japanese porn star Maria Ozawa, popularly known as Miyabi, to visit the country to play herself in a comedy movie called Menculik Miyabi (Kidnapping Miyabi).
The actress consequently “postponed” her trip.
In December, Australian movie Balibo was banned because it depicts the alleged murder of five Australian-based journalists by invading Indonesian forces in East Timor in 1975. Indonesia says the men died in crossfire.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told