US federal prosecutors said on Thursday they were moving to seize four mosques and a 36-story New York skyscraper from a non-profit Muslim group suspected of being under the Iranian government’s control.
The Alavi Foundation has been illegally funneling funds to the Iranian government, said the office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Preet Bharara.
Bharara filed a civil complaint with a New York federal court to forfeit bank accounts owned by the group and a suspected front company, as well as the office tower, property in Virginia and Islamic centers in New York city and the states of Maryland, Texas and California.
A total of eight real estate properties and nine bank accounts were involved.
In a 97-page complaint, US prosecutors alleged that top Iranian officials, including former deputy prime minister Tahmasb Mazaheri and ambassadors to the UN, were involved in the foundation’s business dealings.
“The Alavi Foundation has effectively been a front for the government of Iran,” Bharara said in a statement.
The filing was likely to further Washington’s already fraught ties with Tehran, which it accuses of funding terror groups and of seeking to produce a nuclear bomb under cover of its suspect civilian nuclear program.
US President Barack Obama renewed long-standing US economic sanctions against Iran for another year on Thursday, telling Congress that “our relations with Iran have not yet returned to normal.”
Calls to the Alavi Foundation and the Iranian mission to the UN were not immediately returned.
The move to seize the Shiite Muslim places of worship, a very rare step for US law enforcement because of freedom of religion rights enshrined in the Constitution, comes as US Muslims fear a backlash following last week’s shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, allegedly by a Muslim US Army psychiatrist.
The seized Islamic centers — the Islamic Institute of New York in the city’s Queens borough, the Islamic Education Center of Houston, Texas, the Islamic Education Center in Rockville, Maryland and the Qoba Foundation in Carmichael, California — house mosques and schools.
US officials were quick to stress that the complaint targeted specific properties, irrespective of what is built on them, and that the tenants and occupants remained free to use the sites.
“No action has been taken against any tenants or occupants of those properties,” Bharara spokeswoman Yusill Scribner said. “There are no allegations of any wrongdoing on the part of any of these tenants or occupants.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told