Three people were killed and around 100 were injured on Saturday after the seven-story headquarters of the Angolan police's criminal investigation department collapsed in Luanda, rescue workers said.
The three bodies were pulled from the rubble after hours of searching by teams of rescuers who were still struggling as night fell to access the worst-affected part of the building in which women detainees were trapped.
"We have recovered three bodies from the rubble and rescued 101 people," said Eugenio Laborinho, national commander of the protection services.
PHOTO: AFP
He said that those rescued from the rubble had been delivered to hospitals.
The wounded were mostly sent to the capital's main Sao Paolo hospital and to a military hospital where the authorities were not giving out details on the extent of their injuries.
The collapse happened at around daybreak when only a skeleton staff of 14 guards was on duty and all those who were injured were believed to be detainees who were being held while their cases are under investigation.
Laborinho said it was unclear how many were trapped.
"It will take us more than 48 or 72 hours until we reach everyone. This is what the engineers estimate," he said.
Cranes had been employed to shift some of the masonry while residents living nearby were told to evacuate their homes in case there was a further collapse.
Sniffer dogs have also been sent in to locate more survivors.
Local radio reported that the rescuers had struggled to reach the women's holding cell and were now looking to access by drilling through a neighboring building after it had been evacuated.
Police Commissioner Ambrosio de Lemos said that some of the survivors who had been located had been given emergency supplies before the rescuers began the task of trying to extricate them.
"We gave the victims supplies and cellphones to keep in touch. We know there's a woman with a baby," the commissioner said.
A reporter at the scene said that the cries of both male and female victims could be heard from within the rubble.
One of the victims who was rescued by the emergency services said he had heard a loud "cracking" noise from inside his cell during the night, shortly before the building collapsed.
"We heard something cracking. I looked out through the window and saw this pillar completely broken and then I saw one of the guards running away. We called for him to save us but he didn't come," Joao Salgueiro told state radio RNA. "Some time later we saw the building collapsing upon us."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told