Less than a fortnight after being crowned the first Indian Idol, 23-year-old Abhijeet Sawant is a hunted man -- scores of parents are chasing after him with proposals to marry their daughters.
"My family is having a tough time controlling parents who have just kept pouring in with marriage proposals since the day I became the Indian Idol," Sawant said.
The boyish-looking Sawant, an amateur singer with a local Mumbai orchestra, was chosen as the first Indian Idol in a competition modeled on the popular American Idol format.
PHOTO: AFP
Sawant used to sing Bollywood songs in musical shows during religious festivals and at wedding ceremonies, where he was recognized as talented but not exceptional.
But his moment of glory came at the end of a five-month countrywide search for a singing star organized by Sony Entertainment Television.
In the final round, some 48 million viewers watched Sawant, the son of a Mumbai civic officer, beat off competition from 21-year-old Amit Sana, who hails from the eastern industrial city of Bhillai where his father is a steel worker. It is one of three most-watched television shows in India this year.
Sawant was voted favorite by television audiences who sent in their vote through mobile text messages. Over 30 million text messages were sent in the run-up to the final.
Life has changed dramatically for Sawant, who says he misses his common, boy-next-door life with his parents and younger sister in the city's Dharavi slums -- his sudden fame has forced him to go into hiding.
"Though I am staying near my home in the city, I am not disclosing the place where I go to sleep at night," Sawant said. "People just want to see me and meet me. It has become impossible to live there. I have not even been able to meet my friends after my victory."
He moves around Mumbai with two bodyguards who are with him round-the-clock.
"The problem is that if I stand in one place for more than five minutes, people start recognizing me and chasing me," he said. "It has become difficult for me to lead a life of a commoner."
For six months during the contest he was out of contact with his family, in accordance with the rules of the show.
When he returned after winning the contest to his one-bedroomed home in a government building in central Dharavi, he was treated like a long-lost prodigal.
Sawant's home has now become a landmark for anyone entering Dharavi. Not that Sawant is complaining.
"Life was never so good. I believe that I am still dreaming. I always wanted to be a singer but I still cannot digest the fact that I have become the nation's heartthrob overnight," he said.
The star, who was never good academically, had a tough time convincing his family of his talent.
"Singing was always my passion, but no one took me seriously as I was not good in studies," he said. "In fact I was considering becoming a sound recordist or getting a job in a bank to pacify my parents. But thank God ... Indian Idol happened and life will never be the same for me."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told