The Taichung District Prosecutors’ Office last week indicted 15 suspects on suspicion of illegally dumping more than 1,000 tonnes of septic sewage and waste oil into the sewer system in Taichung, with five confiscated sewage trucks sold at auction for NT$8.14 million (US$266,144).
The office last year set up the “black water task force” led by prosecutor Hou Yung-chi (侯詠琪) to investigate a reported case of sewage waste management operators allegedly colluding with sewer construction project workers to illegally dispose of septic sewage in the city.
Through a joint collaboration with the National Police Agency’s Seventh Special Police Corps, the Ministry of Environment’s Environmental Management Administration and the Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau, the task force tracked suspected vehicles, collected evidence, and finally identified several sewage trucks of two suspected waste management companies.
Photo courtesy of authorities via CNA
On May 6, personnel of the companies were caught on the spot piping septic sewage and waste oil from two sewage trucks into the sewer system via manholes in the city’s Beitun District (北屯).
With search warrants issued by the court, the task force continued to search seven places related to the two suspected companies in Dali District (大里) the same day, where they confiscated two compact excavators and nine sewage trucks.
The administration said the operator used regular sewage trucks to pair up with trucks involved in alleged illegal dumping and illegally disposed of the sludge while pretending to be repairing sewers.
The Seventh Special Police Corps said the total amount of illegally dumped sludge was estimated to be more than 1,000 tonnes.
Prosecutors on Wednesday last week indicted 15 suspects on charges of contravening the Waste Disposal Act (廢棄物清理法) and filed a petition with the court to confiscate a total of NT$5.17 million in illegal gains.
The two prime suspects, a 43-year-old man surnamed Su (蘇) and a 40-year-old man surnamed Wu (吳), were detained and held incommunicado, the office said.
Ten alleged coconspirators were released on bail ranging from NT$20,000 to NT$50,000, while the other three were released with a limitation on their residence, it said.
The office unprecedentedly commissioned the Administrative Enforcement Agency’s Taichung branch to sell the confiscated sewage trucks at auction, it said.
Five trucks were sold on Aug. 5 for a total of NT$8.14 million, which was also confiscated by the office.
The sale of the confiscated vehicles was to demonstrate the office’s determination in clamping down on the industrial chain of environmental crimes, the office said.
Additional reporting by Chang Jui-chen
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not