The Taiwan Strait is international waters, not China’s “inland waters” as it claims, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday, as expressed gratitude to like-minded countries for voicing concern about China’s military exercise around Taiwan on Monday.
The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) on Monday launched military drills, called “Joint Sword-2024B,” in the Taiwan Strait and surrounding Taiwan, which it said served as “a stern warning to the separatist acts of Taiwanese independence forces.”
The one-day joint drills came four days after President William Lai (賴清德) reiterated that the Republic of China and the People’s Republic of China are “not subordinate” to each other, in his first Double Ten National Day address.
Photo: Huang Chin-hsuan, Taipei Times
The MOFA strongly condemns the PLA’s drills, ministry spokesman Jeff Liu (劉永健) said.
“The Taiwan Strait is international waters, not inland waters as China claims,” he said, adding that Taiwan is not only in the center of the first island chain, but also plays a crucial role in the “non-red supply chain” and democratic global value chain.
“Maintaining freedom, openness and peace in the Taiwan Strait and the Indo-Pacific region is already an international consensus,” he said.
The ministry also expresses its regards and sincere gratitude to like-minded countries for expressing serious concerns shortly after China launched its military drills, and for reiterating their opposition to unilateral actions to change the “status quo” in the Strait, and urging China to show restraint, he said.
The US Department of State said the US is “seriously concerned” about the PLA’s “unwarranted” and “provocative” drills, while Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba and the Japanese ministers of foreign affairs and defense also stressed the importance of peace in the Strait.
The EU warned against “unilateral actions” that change the “status quo” in the waterway.
The UK said it was concerned by China’s military exercises around Taiwan as they increased tensions and risked a “dangerous escalation” in the Strait.
“We do not support any unilateral attempts to change the status quo... We call for restraint and the avoidance of any further actions that may undermine peace and stability,” the British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said in a statement.
Shortly after announcing the completion of the drills on Monday, the Chinese Ministry of National Defense issued a statement saying the exercise was an increase in pressure against Taiwanese independence, and that more could follow.
The Pentagon strongly criticized the Chinese military’s war games, calling them destabilizing.
“This military pressure operation is irresponsible, disproportionate and destabilizing,” Pentagon spokesman Major General Patrick Ryder said in a statement.
Japan yesterday expressed its “concerns” to China over the drills, adding that it scrambled fighter jets near its southern island of Yonaguni.
“The government is closely monitoring the related activities with great interest, and has conveyed Japan’s concerns to the Chinese side,” Japanese Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Kazuhiko Aoki told reporters.
Additional reporting by Reuters and AFP
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not