The Yilan County Government on Wednesday apologized after photographing and displaying a sculptor’s work upside down.
Artist Ou Li-ting (歐立婷) discovered the mistake when she attended the opening of this year’s Yilan Awards exhibition on Saturday last week.
Her piece, a 3D sculpture titled Between VI (之間VI), was honored as a special selection.
.Photo: Tsai Yun-jung, Taipei Times
However, Ou wrote on Facebook that she was dismayed to discover that her piece was displayed upside down.
She immediately contacted staff to correct the mistake, but then found that the photographs of her piece in the exhibition catalog were also incorrect, she wrote.
When she went on stage to accept the award, the image displayed on the screen was still upside down, she said.
Photo courtesy of Ou Li-ting
“Was it wrong throughout the entire selection process?” she asked.
Ou said she found that this was indeed the case, even though her application form clearly showed the piece displayed properly from multiple angles and it was shipped with photographs.
“How can such a serious mistake have been made?” she asked. “If there are questions about how a work should be displayed, shouldn’t they check with the artist?”
“Such arbitrary placement is disrespectful to the artist and not only distorts the meaning, but damages their rights,” she said.
She contacted the Yilan Cultural Affairs Bureau to fix the problem, but posted about it online because “if I didn’t fix this publicly, I would be tacitly allowing this kind of thing to continue,” Ou wrote.
The bureau said it was “deeply sorry” and was working to correct the catalog after already fixing the display.
The installer was a new hire, it said, adding that future exhibitions would be installed by experienced professionals.
The bureau also contacted the lead judge, Sung Hsi-te (宋璽德), who said that the 3D artworks were judged in person from many angles, as well as from the artist’s submitted material.
As such, the way it was displayed had no influence on the decision, Sung said.
In a statement made on behalf of Ou, Mumu Gallery manager Chang Yi-wen (張怡文) said that correct installation shows respect for an artist and their creation.
This never should have happened, especially as Ou provided guidance on the correct way to display her work, Chang said.
Hopefully by publicly discussing the incident, the awards committee and bureau would adopt a more professional process, she added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not